Chesapeake Math and IT Academy South MS/HS Public Charter School (CMIT Academy South MS/HS), in partnership with students, parents, and the community, provides a rigorous and quality education for K-12 school students with a special focus on science, math, and technology. By incorporating math and technology in the classroom and encouraging students to participate in an informational society, CMIT Academy South MS/HS students have the skills and experience to advance and excel in higher education and the workforce.
The vision of CMIT is to provide multiple opportunities for Prince George’s County youth to prepare for post secondary education in a variety of fields of study in order to pursue professional careers. CMIT will enable all students to achieve their maximum potential by equipping and empowering them with analytical thinking and quantitative reasoning skills.
With this vision in mind, CMIT Academy South MS/HS will prepare students to become competent, responsible and successful individuals in our globalized and technology-based society through a strong academic program, a school-family-community partnership, and a strong teacher-student relationship. CMIT Academy South MS/HS will inspire and challenge sixth through twelfth grade students in a creative and supportive learning environment with an academic program focusing on mathematics and information technologies to educate its students as responsible citizens.
Our educational approach aims to accomplish the following goals :
• Recognize the talents of all students and work to create rigorous lessons that allow them to continuously succeed at higher levels of learning,
• Provide intensive, individualized instruction in science, math, and technology with a focus on problem solving,
• Engage students through one-on-one tutoring and peer study groups,
• Prepare all students for college admittance with the requisite skills needed to excel once admitted, through rigorous coursework,
• Promote after school programs and extracurricular activities, which foster well-roundedness,
• Provide opportunities for internships, projects, science fairs and competitions,
• Collaborate with local universities, agencies and businesses to enhance the school community.
It is our goal to use new and innovative educational practices with students that allow for academic success and advanced educational opportunities. Our students have a broad spectrum of options for their future endeavors and are prepared to be responsible and productive citizens of society. CMIT’s educational program sees each student as an important person in the school and is committed to the mission of establishing a partnership with parents and the community. It is our belief that all children have an inherent curiosity and love of learning, and all children can reach their highest potential.